I experienced what could have been a potential disaster when in San Francisco. The 2000 MaH NiMH rechargable battery pack I use to power my fans has been awesome, and was capable of powering my fans for eight hours per charge. Unfortunately the connectors I use in the harness are subject to sweat contamination, and one of them finally hard-shorted. I had luckily not left the hotel room yet, or it could've been really bad. The connector shorted, the fans instantly stopped turning, and within seconds, the whole harness melted and smoke filled my fursuit head. I tore off the head, ripped the connector in half, but by then the harness had melted it's insulation, so I had to quickly unzip my suit and tear the battery loose from the now smoking wires. It was a close call as the battery itself was now smoking badly. My battery holder has been ruined and there are scorch marks inside the fursuit from the flames. If I had made it into the square when this all went down, I might not have noticed until I had caught fire a very public way. Geez that would've been embarrassing, if not outright catastrophic.
So... Lessons learned?
#1: Use better connectors with strain relief that cannot short out.
#2: Install inline fuses nice and close to the battery itself. 0.5 amps ought to do it.
So it's back to the drawing board for my muzzlefan design before Tycho Aussie gets out and about again.